Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Princess and the Feminist

My mum is a 1960s-vintage burn-your-bra feminist, and I love her for it. She's much of the reason I'm strong and independent today. But when you're 6 years old and your friends are all playing with dolls and wearing frilly dresses, sometimes a feminist mother can be rather embarrassing.

I never got to read girls' magazines, or play dress-ups; she wouldn't even let me pick lucky dips from the girls' bin because its contents might "reinforce gender stereotypes." The worst part was, in addition to being a feminist, she was also a student of sociobiology, and she had this Pavlovian trick of quoting liberally from "The Female Eunuch" every time I asked for a Barbie doll.

Acquiring today's dress was, therefore, an act of rebellion.



Mum would hate it. It is pink, and lacy, and fit for a princess. (I think I saw Lady Di in something similar once.) This is the kind of dress that mum's homemaker-in-waiting nemeses wore to their school balls while she attended neo-suffragette rallies. She would have thrown eggs at it. I, however, love it to pieces.

It was possibly homemade (there are no labels) and just gazing at it makes me imagine a sweet 16-year-old being awkwardly photographed by her parents on the way to some school dance. This is what I imagine nostalgia would feel like, if my mum had ever let me go to dances.

Anyway, if you want to piss off your feminist mother, or if you have a ball to go to, please head over to TradeMe and place your bids. If you really want to piss off your feminist mother, add this shameless fashionista on Twitter.
TradeMe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Womenswear/Vintage-retro/Size-10/auction-256585254.htm
Twitter: http://twitter.com/vintagemadam

Love and Barbies,
The Vintage Madam.



Size on label: N/A
Modern size: 10-12
Label: No label; possibly homemade
Condition: Very good; button holes look slightly fragile
Fabric: Satin and lace
Closure: Back zip and buttons
Measurements: (all taken with garment lying flat)
Armpit-to-armpit: 52cm
Waist: 39cm
Hips: 58cm
Length: 136cm (approx ankle-length)
Features: Vertical front pleats, lace shoulders

No comments:

Post a Comment