Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fedora? I hardly knew 'er! Yuk yuk! (Oh god. Sorry.)

Today I spent 45 minutes on my lipstick.

To some, this would be considered unreasonable. After all, in that amount of time, I could write a letter to a friend, cook and eat a delicious breakfast, or squeeze in a workout. But really: my friends know I love them, I like my daily Weetbix mush eaten at the traffic lights, and as for workouts, the gym has banned me since I put stilleto holes in the mat of their treadmill. :(

So I have a little time in the mornings, and today I had one of those iron-strong, can't-ignore-it whims to go noir. Yes, I pulled on my best back-seam stockings, slipped into a pencil skirt, and dug out a delicious silk pussy-bow blouse. All that was missing was the lips.

Scarlet. Matt. Colour so densely pressed into my lips, in so many layers, so meticulously blotted and re-blotted, that some lucky funeral home shall have to apply nothing when I die in 50 years. These are va-va-voom lips, ripe and red as poison apples, just begging to be bitten.

Is this some kind of subconscious vampire fantasy brought on by the recent Twilight release? No. I'm not twelve. My noir whim was prompted by the sight of today's femme fatale hat, a slick latte-hued wool fedora just begging to be slung low over one eye. Wear recommendation: adopt an air of superiority, then just add Robert Mitchum.*

The linkies are:
TradeMe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Womenswear/Accessories/Hats-caps/auction-256372767.htm
Twitter: http://twitter.com/vintagemadam

Until tomorrow, guys and dolls.

Love and lipstick,
The Vintage Madam.


*I take no responsibility for Robert Mitchum being dead or otherwise unavailable.



Modern size: One size fits all
Label: Wetherall
Condition: Good as new
Fabric: 100% wool
Features: Lush latte colour, indent on top

1 comment:

  1. oooh, love your narrative and makes me want to don my own version of femme fatal today.

    Fun blog, glad I found it :)

    ReplyDelete