Friday, November 20, 2009

The Money Coat

I don't know what the weather's doing where you are, but I am in Auckland. 'Nuff said.

We are theoretically 11 days away from summer, and yet the drizzle continues unabated. Despite all efforts to end winter, it soldiers on: like a run in pantyhose, or a trill in a Mariah Carey song, it's unconquerable.*

But there are a few upsides to this unseasonable iciness. Perhaps you like to indulge in some late November hot chocolates, or light the occasional evening fire. Personally, I like to wear coats. Into December. Rain or no rain.

Actually it's not just a long-winter phenomenon - my friends have been complaining about my excessive coatedness for years. Like drunk singletons stumbling out of a bar, I'll take 'em single- or double-breasted, in any shape or size, no matter how green or grey they might be. Yes folks, I'm a coataholic.

And why not? They are the perfect way to look chic on those days when you're too lazy / hungover to give a crap about what you wear... just add belt and heels, and you have a Vogue-ready ensemble. It's like Dressing for Dummies.

So what do I have for you today? Well I'm glad you ask. Today's coat is the kind you see on powerful Wall Street women in movies. Heavy, camel-toned, rich, just screaming money - even the lining is gold. And the label? You can find other pieces from London Affair in the fashion collection at Te Papa. (Seriously!) All in all, this coat is what I call an I'm-better-than-you garment, best worn to high school reunions and dominatrix sessions.

Curious? Check out the pics over at TradeMe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Womenswear/Vintage-retro/Size-14/auction-255265784.htm

And remember to add me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/vintagemadam

That's it for today, wishing you all a hot chocolatey weekend!

Double-breastedly yours,
The Vintage Madam.

*A run in pantyhose can be stopped by applying clear nail polish. I'm curious to test whether the same is true of Ms Carey's mouth.



Size on label: 12
Modern size: 14-16
Label: London Affair (made in NZ)
Condition: Almost perfect; a few tiny pinprick holes in the lining
Fabric: Not specified; either wool or wool/cashmere
Closure: Six buttons; double-breasted
Measurements: (all taken with garment lying flat)
Armpit-to-armpit: 53cm
Waist: 51cm
Hips: 57cm
Length: 125cm (to mid-calf on an average height woman)
Features: Fully lined in gold satin; two front pockets

No comments:

Post a Comment