Monday, November 30, 2009

Dress-ups, both naughty and innocent...

I relate to Peter Pan. Not so much for his ability to fly, or for his inclination to surround himself with prepubescent boys...

Disney: Dressing Orphaned Boys in Furry Suits Since 1953

I just never want to grow up.*

I remember childhood as a time of endless summers and goody gumdrop ice-creams, a time of skipping rope in friends' backyards and pulling pipis from the shoreline. Good times! Puppies! Rainbows!

In fact my childhood was so idyllic, I am left with absolutely no-one to blame for the many, many, [cough] MANY examples of my current deviant behaviour. ("What officer, I shouldn't be dangling my feet in 5-inch heels out the car window while driving and sipping a mojito? It's my mother's fault. She... um... hugged me too much.")

Indeed, I often spend drunken Thursday mornings flipping through old holiday snapshots, trying to figure out what horrific trauma could have sent me flying off the rails.

Dad tinkers on the luxury yacht.
Left of frame: I got a new sand pail that day. Yay!

But really, it was all so wonderful that I often fantasise of reliving those halcyon days by dressing in a playsuit, packing my Strawberry Shortcake brand lip balm, and heading for the coast. So, understandably, when I saw today's garment, I got excited. (I call it excited. The lady in the shop called it hysterical. Semantics.)

Yes dear readers, this is a genuine vintage, cute-in-a-grown-up-sort-of-way, beach-ready playsuit! The perfect cover-up for when you reach that famous togs/undies threshold, it's also great to wear while building sandcastles, or when going cotton-pickin' on the farm. Pigtails optional.
Adowabawl!

Also: the buttons have little anchors on them. All together now: awwwww! There are way more pictures over at the TradeMe auction, because I'm a little in love with this piece and got rather camera-happy.

Details are below and the linkies are:
TradeMe - Playsuit Auction
Twitter - Add the Vintage Madam

Best be off now, there are a bunch of Disney lawyers banging on my door :-/

Till tomorrow,
Love and furry boys,
The Vintage Madam.

*Also, the feathered caps. Oh my, the feathered caps!


Size on label: None
Modern size: Best on a size 10
Label: East & Red Casual
Condition: Perfect other than some loose thread on buttons
Fabric: Linen (?)
Closure: Halterneck ties, hip buttons
Measurements: (all taken with garment lying flat)
Armpit-to-armpit: Free-size
Waist: 43cm
Hips: 50cm
Length: Adjustable torso length; comes to mid-thigh
Features: Cute anchor buttons, hip & back pockets

No comments:

Post a Comment