Thursday, November 19, 2009

Disco isn't dead, it's just been hiding in my closet

Last dance, last chance for love
Yes, it's my last chance, for romance tonight
I need you by me, beside me, to guide me
To hold me, to scold me
'Cause when I'm bad I'm so, so bad...

Don't pretend you haven't Singstarred to this. We've all been there, usually at 3am with lipstick-smeared glasses of bubbly in hand and giant sunglasses on so we aren't recognisable in the Facebook pics the next morning. There's a reason disco still isn't dead: it's fun. Slightly shameful, somewhat guilty, unadulterated pleasure.

There's nothing that'll bond a group of women together more than Donna Summering it up. Except perhaps Spicing it up. You know what I mean: "If you wannabe my lover / You gotta get with my friends / Makin' love's forever / Friendship never ends." Anyway, I digress. Today's garment, you'll be relieved to know, is not a Baby Spice mood ring (yes, I had one) but rather a faaaahbulous midnight blue sparkly Donna Summer dress robe.

Which brings me to another digression: why did we abandon the dress robe?! It's possibly the only item of clothing that can be both a form-fitting wrap dress (with a belt) and a sin-hiding cover-up (over a dress). The dress robe doesn't care whether I'm feeling fit or frumpy; it's ready to work it either way. Come on 2010, let's see dress robes flooding the malls!

Okay, so maybe the 14-year-olds at Westfield will be looking for something a little skimpier, but those of us with a few years on them (ahem... a few...) could definitely make use of some class and versatility in our going-out clothes. But then, even if they tried, Glassons wouldn't be able to replicate this piece. It's possibly homemade as there's no label, but very authentic 1970s, with a neck tie and light shoulder pads (don't worry, you can pull them out if you want.)

Get on over to TradeMe quick, before I decide to make this a permanent part of my Singstar costume wardrobe! ;)
Link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Clothing/Womenswear/Vintage-retro/Size-12/auction-255046865.htm
And Twitter link: http://twitter.com/vintagemadam

Details below, and until tomorrow, may your shoes be high and your boys be Bee Gees.

Love and afros,
The Vintage Madam.



Size on label: N/A
Modern size: Pretty much free-size, but best on a 10/12/14
Label: None - was possibly homemade
Condition: Perfect
Fabric: Not specified; feels synthetic
Closure: Pull-on
Measurements: (all taken with garment lying flat)
Armpit-to-armpit: 58cm
Waist: 55cm
Hips: Free-size
Length: 106cm
Features: Neck tie, silver sparkles, shoulder pads


No comments:

Post a Comment