Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Oh to be one of the cool kids...

I never was. One of the cool kids, I mean. Mostly because no matter where I was, at school or at play or running around the neighbourhood, my mum was never far away with her nose rag.

Thanks, Mum.

The cool kids were that other group, the ones who wore their mussed-up scrunchie ponytails to the side and talked about boys instead of playing jacks. They never wore Barbie plasters over scraped knees or had to walk their little siblings home, they just somehow escaped all those minor humiliations that the rest of us had to deal with.

I. Was. Jealous.

Of course, we all grow up. The dorky kids become smart, able adults, while the cool kids stay trapped in a time warp. At least, this is what I tell myself.

Grown-up 80s cool kids: the only creatures below Courtney Love on the evolutionary ladder.

Now the cool kids are the hipster types. You know the ones. Jutting one hip out while spouting ironicisms, sipping espresso and riding their vintage Vespas.

OK, so maybe there are a lot of cliches associated with coolness.
But what I love is that you can be considered hip for making unexpected clothing choices. Gumboots with sundresses, that kind of thing. And today's garment is definitely one for the cool kids.

At first I passed it over as just a bit of tweed. But as I moved down the racks, it haunted me. Until, finally, I had to go back, and then it struck me. Fuck, this is awesome! Over a pretty-pretty chiffon dress, or with stovepipe jeans and nothing underneath but a killer rack. It's so unique. So eccentric. So precisely what vintage is all about.

You know you want it...

And OK, yes, now I'm gushing. But I only do it when it's truly justified, honest!

Anyhoo, clickety-click your way to TradeMe to bid:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=262695840&ed=true

Deets below, meanwhile remember: cool kids don't do drugs. Or something.

Love and ironicisms,
The Vintage Madam.


Size on label: N/S
Modern size: Pretty much free-size since it doesn't close in front
Label: Flora Kolon Mode
Condition: Great; some fading on the piping, which looks rustic
Fabric: Wool
Closure: None; you could pin it if you wanted
Measurements: (all taken with garment lying flat)
Armpit-to-armpit: 48cm
Waist: 45cm
Length: 49cm shoulder-to-hem
Features: Leaf design at left shoulder























No comments:

Post a Comment